Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Trade Magazines

I've always been a sucker for getting mail. Even when I was a kid, I always used to like to have penpals, and when I started collecting baseball cards, if I got doubles of a card, I'd write a letter to that player, include the card, and ask him to sign it and send it back. It was always exciting to see who would write back and who wouldn't. Bobby Bonilla of the Pittsburgh Pirates was really nice and sent me all kinds of pictures and a personalized letter. Pete Rose sent a form letter asking for $25.

Anyway, even now, I like getting mail, which might be why I subscribe to all sorts of trade magazines and the like. I get Lightwave Magazine, from when I was going to run a mile-long fiber cable between two buildings, I get Dr. Dobb's Journal, since I used to program a bit. Of course, I subscribe to Network World, Storage Magazine, and I get all kinds of catalogs, as well.

Electronically, I subscribe to several news releases from the aforementioned sources, and of course I signed up recently with Simple Talk Exchange, as you might have heard.

Amazingly, these are all free subscriptions for "qualified professionals", which really just means you fit the description of someone who might be interested in buying things from their advertisers, Heck, I sort of like the ads, anyway. It lets me know about things that are coming out that I'll never be able to afford. Was I the only one who used to love to get Computer Shopper back when it was three inches thick?

Do you subscribe to magazines as well? Do you know of any that I'm missing? I'd love to hear about them, and I'm sure other people would as well. Thanks!