Thursday, September 18, 2008

Recovery and return to normalcy

With the return of electricity to my home last night, I found a huge wave of stress leave me. Aside from having to use lanterns and candles for light, not being able to use hot water for cleaning, and spending all day trying to work from wherever I could find internet, it wasn't too hard to live without electricity, but as a sysadmin, the knowledge that I might be forced to leave and try to find an open AP at 4 in the morning because of a system outage weighed very heavily on me.

I really felt like a technomad of sorts. Breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner had to be held at places with open wifi. Of course, just finding a place that had power in the beginning was a little iffy.

Yesterday I worked from the office, and I was surprised at how much more relaxing that was, than even sitting in a pub for lunch. Almost all the work that I do is remote to NJ, but somehow just the knowledge that my resources were around me helped. The dual widescreen monitors might have had something to do with it as well.

At least it is now over. I'm hoping to begin blogging more often again, too. It was surprising how much I missed it. It really is cathartic to put everything out here and get input from people who have to go through the same things as myself. Thanks, everyone for all of your support! I do appreciate it.