Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Behind Schedule

I've been posting less and less frequently over the past week. It's not because I don't want to, it's just because work has been so crushing, in terms of needing to get things done.

On deck is a writeup on configuring and managing log files, and a big howto on clustering using RedHat Clustering Suite, which you can actually use for free via CentOS.

We're in our last big push towards getting the system usable for operations testing. This includes such niceties as getting the DNS configured correctly using the proper naming prefix. Despite my making clear what form the DNS names would take, I have been over-ruled. Instead of a-<function><servernumber>, we're doing "<function><servernumber>" for the primary, and "<function><servernumber><postfix>" for everything else, where postfix is back, test, etc. So what was a-fs1, for "first fileserver at the alpha site", it's now fs1. b-ops3 for "3rd operations machine at the beta site" is now fs3back. I don't like it, but it's not my choice.

I'm working on configuring Sendmail now, and I'm surprised someone managed to transcribe the documentation from the original cuneiform. I've never really worked with Sendmail, as postfix always seemed much easier to deal with. I'm still weighing whether it's better to go with the default install on the OS (sendmail) or require a custom install for the machine. I've got to admit that I'm leaning towards postfix.

Anyway, that's what's going on with why my updates have been so infrequent.

This has been the most blog-like entry I've done so far, I think. All I need to do now is go all emo and write poetry.