Thursday, July 3, 2008

Remote Claustrophobia

This is one of those little whining complaints, but I really don't like like working remotely. I have a certain interface at work that I'm used to, and when I work on my dinky-feeling 15" powerbook, I miss the other 25 diagonal inches.

I've got two 20" widescreen monitors as my desktop at work, running Ubuntu, with WindowMaker as the window manager. It's configured primarily for speed, with an emphasis on bringing terminal windows up, and quickly. On a typical day when I'm working on several projects, it's typical to have 20ish terminal windows spread over 7 desktops.

As much as I like OS X as a desktop operating system, when I try to do work on it, it just seems so...slow. Click here, click there, click over there.

Maybe there are ways to assign keyboard shortcuts to certain programs, but if so I haven't found it. Since I'm on an old powerbook, I'm still on 10.4, so by default, I have one desktop. I installed a free virtual desktop program that helps a lot, but I can't get over the feeling of being cramped and hampered.

It doesn't help that I work in a recliner when I'm at home, and I get headaches from my bad posture.

/end whining