Thursday, July 10, 2008

Final Preperations

We had our final conference call today with the colocation representatives. It turns out that we're going to need a 30 amp circuit rather than the 20 amp line they installed. Of course, we knew this since the beginning, but there was a typo in the spreadsheet that got sent to the salesman.

The end result of this is that we're not going to have the circuit in place for the Tuesday install. Thankfully, the 208v circuit is in place, and we can use the 20amp circuit until the 30 amp is installed. That'll let me make some progress. I've just got to provide very thorough instructions for migrating to the power source.

I came in early today and finished some network diagrams and paperwork that ensured our equipment's entry to the colocation. This is our 2nd colocation, but it's the first time we've had to do anything requiring this level of detail. As soon as I get some time, I'm going to be writing up tips to help someone else. This has been eye-opening. The next time will be a lot easier. I told my boss today, it's a shame that the next time we do this, we'll be installing the backup, because it's probably going to be a lot smoother.

As an eye-candy bonus, here's the layout of the rack I'm installing. The only additions that aren't on here are the PDUs and the KVM for the two non-blade machines.


(click for the flickr page)


Anything in the rack that has ethernet ports on the front will be turned around and mounted in the rear. I'd prefer to put the blades a little higher, but of all things, cable length is dictating this placement. It works this way pretty well, and it gives me a wide open space at the top if I need to expand.


As an aside, since I'm going to be out of touch for most of next week, I'm planning on having some friends of mine filling in and doing guest spots. I haven't received any submissions yet, so I can't give you any hints about what they'll cover. It'll be as exciting for me as it is for you, I'm sure :-)

Take care and wish me luck!