Monday, July 7, 2008

The effects of Slashdot

If you're still visiting the blog from Slashdot, hello!

I submitted the article DNS Names for Internal Hosts to Slashdot, about a week ago.

Yesterday, they ran the story.


I didn't get any sort of immediate notice. It was Sunday, and I don't usually check Slashdot on Sundays. I was actually sitting on my laptop reading an E-book when I got a notice from my GMail notifier that someone commented on the story. I didn't think anything of it, and I kept reading. Someone else commented.

Just so you know, I'm not what I would consider a "high traffic blog". I have around 30-40 regular readers. There's a link to the blog in my slashdot signature, so when I comment on stories, I usually receive a spike in traffic from people clicking the link. I checked a while back, out of curiosity, and I get around 20 visitors for every comment I leave.

Anyway, my average traffic is 30-40 visits per day. Yesterday, my graphs got thrown off a little bit:



It's a good thing I don't host this blog on a server that charges for bandwidth.

And remember, this was on a Sunday evening. The story garnered over 350 comments on slashdot by this morning, and I got 37 comments on the blog.

In terms of pageviews, out of all those people, only 225 looked at the main page after reading the blog entry. 50 more went to previous pages.

I write this because the macro-trends of visitors interest me. It's neat to try to understand why some people click links and other people don't, or what draws visitors.

If you're at all interested in who visits your site, and from where, and what they do when they're on it, I cannot recommend Google Analytics enough. The amount of information is mind-boggling, but it's well presented and easy to use. We've come a long way from old-style counters.