Monday, March 2, 2009

Dissecting laptops...


Did you know that there are around 35 screws that need removed in order to swap the motherboard out on a Dell Latitude E6500? You didn't? Well, ask me how *I* know...wait, on second thought, don't.

A few years ago, I had to replace a hard drive in an old TI Powerbook. It was ridiculously complex to just take out the drive, involving removal of the entire bottom of the case. Incidentally, if you find yourself needing to take a screwdriver to Apple hardware, iFixIT is a great resource.

Anyway, I thought I would be able to handle the motherboard replacement without too many problems. Boy was I wrong.

I was actually in pretty deep before I decided I had to get some sort of assistance. I had previously Google searched for step-throughs on replacing parts, but I came up empty handed. Midway through gutting the laptop, though, I decided I'd try again. It turned up in the most unlikely of places.

Dell Support

I haven't been able to find exactly that page is linked to from the main http://support.dell.com site, but it's got to be there somewhere.

That page was directly responsible for me being able to complete the laptop work. There's probably no way I should have even attempted it without more training (and if I knew of the complexity beforehand, I would have recommended hiring a contractor to do it). As it was, it took me 5 hours to complete, but it was a successful swap out.