Friday, March 27, 2009

It's only a slow day on the blogosphere

I subscribe to around a hundred blogs. I'm not going to list them all, because a lot of them probably aren't that interesting 75% of the time, and I've linked to most of the ones that continually post good stuff.

It never ceases to amuse me a little whenever I read someone's blog entry that says "You probably noticed that I haven't been posting a lot lately", because unless it's one of a handful of people, I probably didn't miss (or even notice) their lack of posts. I typically wake up to ~40-50 things in Google Reader, and I don't have time to read all of those. I recall offhand that I was sort of worried about Bob when he went on vacation and didn't post anything about it beforehand.

I guess I judge how busy someone is by the number of posts that they put out there, particularly bloggers who have a history of consistently posting good, solid entires. You can sort of tell that Michael has been busy, and I imagine that Jeff has been crushed with work.

Likewise, I have not been posting. AMANDA has been kicking my butt. It took a trip to #AMANDA on IRC for me to really wrap my head around the idea that she really should schedule the full and incremental backups herself, and that I need to let her do it.

That doesn't relieve me of the requirements in the backup policy, though, so I've got to have additional end-of-week backup tapes, too, which means a second scheduled backup set for each discrete item. Anyway, a full AMANDA write up will be forthcoming after I get the solution in place and documented.

And to compound problems, I wiped out my only copy of the configuration I've been working on mid way through and had to recreate it. *groan*

So to summarize, I'm sorry that I haven't been posting as often, though I'm touched if you noticed, and I don't see my current workload slacking off, since my boss is taking vacation next weekend and I'll be pulling double duty on occasion.