Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hello from Rome!

OK, as I'm typing this, I'm not actually in Rome; I'm still at home in my arm chair, but by the time you read this, I'll be in Rome, wandering around the seven hills, trodding on ground which has seen millennia of humanity pass by.

To an American like myself, especially one who hasn't traveled widely, the idea of an area having that much history is unusual. The oldest pub I've ever been in is the Stone Street Tavern in New York City. It's from the mid-17th century, roughly 2,300 years newer than Rome. That's pretty amazing.

I've gotten advice on what to do from everyone that I've talked to about this, from the president of my company to Michael Janke (thanks Mike!), and while everyone has different suggestions, everyone also says that I need to see the Pantheon, so I'll be heading there. I'd like to walk from the Colosseum to the Pantheon, stopping by some local shops on the way.

The best site I've seen for cramming a lot of information in a little bit of space is italyguides.it. Their google maps mashup is great.

That's it for now! Next time you hear from me, it'll be Athens, Greece!