Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What? SSH stuff AGAIN?!?!?

Apparently the SSH fiasco isn't done. I didn't believe it either, but there are still things that haven't been covered!


Daniel, at Bonetree Blog wrote an overview of a great tool to have in your toolbox: SSH tunnels. Completely aside from the inherent security that an SSH tunnel provides, I've got lots of random hardware (usually cheap routers, APs, and the like) that only want to allow an administrator to log in if the admin is on the same subnet that they are. That's a pain in the butt when you're a couple of states away! To remedy this, I connect to a server that IS on the same network as the device and I create an SSH tunnel through the server to get to the appliance. Daniel explains it better than I'm doing, and he actually uses it to make a SOCKS proxy. Just read his article.