Saturday, October 18, 2008

Changes in things around here

Hi!

I've heard from more than one person that they were unable to comment here because of the CAPTCHA method that blogger uses. Apparently this was well known to many people that weren't me. Ironically, this affects people who have enabled certain protections to make browsing more secure, or in the words of one commenter, the very people I want commenting on my entries.

To this end, effective Friday, I've disabled CAPTCHAs on my comments. If you haven't been able to comment here because of them, you will be fine now. There's always the risk of comment spam, but I'd rather deal with that than not have people commenting who want to.

This blog has become far more successful than I could have imagined when I started it in May. According to Google Reader, I have 191 subscribers, just from that one RSS reader. According to Google Analytics, over 36,000 individual people have visited through the 6 months I've been writing. And if you're curious, Adsense has garnered [EDIT] not as much as you'd suspect ;-)

To everyone who keeps coming back to read what I write and to contribute to the discussions, thank you very much.

In the long term, I've been thinking that I may not stay at blogger for a whole lot longer. I haven't decided what software I would end up using, but I'm open to suggestion. Like most sysadmins, I don't have a lot of time to configure the website, which is why I picked blogger in the beginning. Anyway, that is in the future. Effectively shortly, www.standalone-sysadmin.com will point to this site, and will be sure to follow whereever the blog goes. Nothing will take you by surprise, though, as I'll write about major changes before I put them into effect.

So that's what's going on. No more captchas, new way to get here (http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com), and I'm shopping around for other blogging software.

If you've got any questions or feedback, please comment below, or send me an email to standalone.sysadmin@gmail.com. Thanks!