Monday, June 2, 2008

Google's intelligent searching

Has Google been making anyone else mad with their new "intelligent" search feature?

Example:

I want to determine whether an organization called "Moneymakers Inc" is a scam. I do a search for Moneymakers scam. Google recognizes that moneymakers is two words, so it splits them up and searches for money maker scam. If I want to really search for moneymaker scam I have to type "moneymaker" scam. Irritating.

It's also been auto-conjugating my words for me. The guy who runs the Moneymaker site is named Dick Detering. Google sees Detering, and thinks I'm talking about the verb deter, and it will conjugate it into its various forms and search for those. Again, irritating, and you need quotes to make it stop.

I really don't want a search engine that thinks it's smarter than I am.

[UPDATE]

Since I am now apparently the first result in Google for '"moneymakers" scam', if you've got to this blog entry trying to find out if "Moneymakers Inc" is a scam, I honestly don't know. It sounds too good to be true, but I've not seen anyone complain about them. I also haven't been convinced to give them my money to invest, either.

Drop me a line if you have any info or experience with them