Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dear Diary: Jackpot

Today, I set foot in Egypt. To say that it's been a dream of mine since I was a child would technically be accurate, but it wouldn't really convey the full meaning. When I was in elementary school, I was fortunate enough to attend a pilot school called TREK one day a week. This program was set up very similar to college. You picked your own classes, set your schedule, and learned about what interested you. I'm not even sure how many times I took Ancient Egyptology.

Part of the reason we took this cruise in particular was that we stay docked in Alexandria for two entire days. This gives us time to make the trip to Cairo. The amount of history in the slender Nile Valley is amazing. Since time began, people have made their homes here, civilization flourished here in this oasis in the desert.

We're going on a private tour where we will visit the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, several historic mosques, and of course, Giza plateau, home of the pyramids and the sphinx. Words cannot express how excited I am.

I'm almost home. Pictures will be forthcoming. Punch will be served. Or something like that.