Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Email to the position, not the person

Just a small note that comes to mind as I register this Belkin IP-KVM that just came across my desk.

When you go to register an asset, hardware or software, invariably you are asked for an email address. The initial knee jerk reaction is to use your normal email address, but they really don't want your email address, they want the email address of the systems administrator. Sure, you're the systems administrator, but that won't matter later, when you're not.

I use an alias on my normal user account, sysadmin@mydomain.com for these occasions. I know that I'm not going to be in this job for another 30 years (at least I hope not, Dear God), and when I hand the reins to someone else, they're not going to want to deal with trying to figure out whether something is registered in my name, or the guy who came before me, or if they already did it and forgot. So I use my sysadmin alias, and they will too, I imagine.

Just another courtesy you can extend to your future usurpers.