Friday, May 29, 2009

Outstanding new sysadmin resource

I always like posting cool sites and resources that I find, and man, today's is no exception.

I'm willing to bet a bunch of you have already heard of it and are probably participating. It just got out of beta the other day, and it's live for new members. It's called Server Fault, created by the same people who did Stack Overflow.

The general idea is that a sysadmin asks a question to the group. People answer the question in the thread, and the question (and answers) get voted up and down. Think of it like Reddit with a signal to noise ratio of infinity.

I've been active on there, checking it out, and while it's frustrating in the beginning (you can't do anything but ask and answer questions, and in your answers you can't even include links. As your questions and answers get voted up, you receive "reputation", and as your reputation improves, you get more abilities on the site. Like an RPG or something, I guess. Check the FAQ for more details.

The absolute best part is that you can learn more and more and more, all the time. I can't tell you how many questions I've seen where I thought "I've always sort of wondered that, too", and I just never took the time to research it. *click*

It's outstanding, and as a technical resource, probably unparalleled in the sysadmin world. Let me know what you think of it (and post a link to your account, if you'd like. Mine is here).