Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wacky SSH Authorized Keys Tricks

You may have caught my blog post last week about setting up host to host ssh keys.

What you might not have caught was in the comments, where Ben Cotton mentioned a trick I hadn't heard of, namely specifying the allowed remote commands in the authorized_keys line. He said there were even more features available, just waiting on the manpage. I replied that if he wrote it, I'd link to it.

Well, Ben put his money where his mouth is. He goes into nice detail and provides some good links and suggestions. This is really fascinating stuff, and I'm looking forward to using it in my own organization.

Therek over at Unix Sysadmin jumped in the fray, too. He's got three neat tricks for your ssh needs that you should really check out. I had no idea SSH key auth could be bent in these directions!

I've said it before, but I'll keep saying it. I love having visitors to my blog who enjoy what I write, and it really brings it home to interact with everyone like this. I couldn't ask for a better bunch of readers, though to be honest, I'm worried about Ben's longevity. I can't imagine what his cholesterol level must be ;-)

Ben, Therek, thank you both very much! I know my readers will really enjoy these articles. And as for everyone else, the same offer goes for you. If you've got something to share, let me know, I'll be happy to link to your blog entry or host it here if you've got the urge to write.